The first week is easy and filled with enthusiasm. Then reality hits you as you realize the old stand-bys of spaghetti or tostadas are no longer available to you. You have to make a whole new list of "go-to" recipes. And that is a daunting task. This is a journey I have just started. I am keeping my food journal here so that when you are in a rut or are starting to panic you can look here for ideas and perhaps even inspiration.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Roasted Carrots

Ok - I have a dirty little secret: I love burnt vegetables.
I know it sounds weird, but there is just something about the added flavor a little char can add to an otherwise boring, healthy food. I'm talking carrots, asparagus, brussels sprouts and even lettuce - yes lettuce! But that is a different post. For this post I am taking on the lowly carrot. Not one of my favorites. Normally consigned to the veggie tray at a party or the thing I tell my kids they can eat if they are really "that" hungry - in baby form, of course. And while I do like them dipped in humus (another go figure) still not something in my "go to" book of recipes. But, carrots are CHEAP! So I thought it couldn't hurt. For this recipe I even spring for the organic bunch that still has the green tops! I know, I know - not cheap anymore... except they still only cost me about $1.50 for the bunch, plus a little of the green left on and roasted is nice too, plus the smaller they are the more tender they are and the less time they take to cook.
I saw this recipe originally on pinterest and can't quite remember how it went. It was something like what is below, but as you can see I sort of throw it all together differently every time. And every time I have been happy with the result.

1 bunch small carrots, olive oil, lemon or lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper, scallions

Preheat your oven to 425 (or your grill - directions for that at the bottom).
Trim all but about 1 inch off the tops of your carrots. then wash by gently scrubbing with a potato brush. A lot of the vitamins are in the top layer of the carrot - so don't peel them!
Put all remaining ingredients (to taste), except scallions, in a large plastic bag. Add the carrots and toss to coat, let sit for about 5 minutes.
Pull out carrots and put on a foil lined cookie sheet and put in the oven. Pour the remaining marinade in a small bowl. Every 5-10 minutes (as often as you remember) turn your carrots and baste with the marinade. Roasting them will take anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your carrots. They are done with they are soft and have taken on a golden brown hue. To serve you can drizzle with more marinade if you choose and sprinkle with the scallions.

On the grill: basically they same idea, but you'll want to keep a good eye on them. *I have yet to not actually burn one side - but they were still good. You will still want them on foil or in a grill pan. Cook them alongside whatever else you are cooking and baste every few minutes to keep them from drying out.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment