The first week is easy and filled with enthusiasm. Then reality hits you as you realize the old stand-bys of spaghetti or tostadas are no longer available to you. You have to make a whole new list of "go-to" recipes. And that is a daunting task. This is a journey I have just started. I am keeping my food journal here so that when you are in a rut or are starting to panic you can look here for ideas and perhaps even inspiration.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Why Coconut Oil?

So what is the deal with coconut oil? My cousin posted a great article here that I recommend you all read. And this is another great source for information.
Coconut oil seems to be one of the world's best kept secrets! It is thought to help in both weight loss and weight maintenance, lowering cholesterol, risk of heart disease, prevention of routine illnesses as it has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties, it increases metabolism and promotes a healthy thyroid. Not to mention it can also help rejuvenate your skin and help prevent wrinkles!
However: the key is to make sure you maintain a constant level of coconut oil in your body at all times. For the average person age 23-50 you should try to intake about 1.5 tablespoons a day (up to 3 T if you are ill). I put about 1/2 a tablespoon in my coffee in the morning. It takes a little getting used to, but I don't need as much chapstick throughout the day anymore either! I also cook with it and use it as a hand moisturizer at least once a day.
The only other thing I can add is: last week my entire family was hit with a terrible cold and cough... everyone but me that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment