The first week is easy and filled with enthusiasm. Then reality hits you as you realize the old stand-bys of spaghetti or tostadas are no longer available to you. You have to make a whole new list of "go-to" recipes. And that is a daunting task. This is a journey I have just started. I am keeping my food journal here so that when you are in a rut or are starting to panic you can look here for ideas and perhaps even inspiration.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Bacon Wrapped, Tahini Stuffed Chicken


First I gather the ingredients: lemon-thyme marinated chicken, tahini, bacon (2-3 slices per chicken breast)
You will want to butterfly your chicken either before or after you marinate it. This is where you will "stuff" your chicken with 1-2 tablespoons of tahini. Then fold it back closed.





Now it's time for the bacon:


Carefully wrap the bacon around the chicken, being sure the open seam is completely sealed and that most of the chicken is covered. Place on a lined, rimmed baking sheet and bake at 375 for 45 minutes, turning at least once to get the underside of bacon crispy. (Next time I think I will cook them on a rack over the pan to let the drippings fall to help the bacon crisp up better.) Cook until the internal temperature reaches 170.

The tahini adds a nice "tang" to the meal, by helping to cut the richness of the bacon.
*I served mine with roasted brussels sprouts

Bacon Bites: I made these for my kids at the same time (tahini is a little much for them!) I used chicken tenders - enough for 2-3 for each child, skewered them and wrapped them in 1/2 a piece of bacon. Threw them in the oven with the breasts and they were done in about 30 minutes. What kids doesn't want to eat something that comes on a stick?!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment