The first week is easy and filled with enthusiasm. Then reality hits you as you realize the old stand-bys of spaghetti or tostadas are no longer available to you. You have to make a whole new list of "go-to" recipes. And that is a daunting task. This is a journey I have just started. I am keeping my food journal here so that when you are in a rut or are starting to panic you can look here for ideas and perhaps even inspiration.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Plan...

Since I do most of the cooking and meal planning around here my husband, Andy, asked  me to take over his food blog. The "plan" is to share a realistic guide to meal planning.
I have several friends who have expressed interest in changing their eating habits, but the whole thing just seems so daunting and overwhelming. So, inspired by them and their concerns I will be keeping a food journal and then post what I ended up eating for the week, along with recipes or links to the recipes I used, and my WOD for the day. (I'm an on and off-again exerciser - right now it's on. I'm participating in a 10,000 swing challenge for the month of January, which keeps me motivated, for now. Again, just being realistic.)
This blog is just to give you ideas and hopefully show you that it doesn't have to be as overwhelming as it seems.
A little bit about me: Honestly, I've never been a big sweets fan, so giving up sugar was not a problem for me. For me it's the carbs. Luckily on this diet I can still have my potatoes! But, for the time I am in weight loss mode I will be limiting my starch and dairy as well. The hard part is finding what to fill those "voids" and "go-to" foods with. This is my challenge.
Tip of the day: The important thing is to start slow. First eliminate sugar or sugar and wheat, sugar and dairy - or just the dairy. Decide the best place to start for you. Maybe this means eliminate sugar and limit your dairy to 3 times a week. Then after a couple weeks eliminate it all together or start phasing out the wheat. You'll get there! And slip-ups will happen. The body is an amazing thing, it will not ruin all your hard work.
And, let's be realistic, this is hard work.

So, welcome to my food world: where the food is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment