The first week is easy and filled with enthusiasm. Then reality hits you as you realize the old stand-bys of spaghetti or tostadas are no longer available to you. You have to make a whole new list of "go-to" recipes. And that is a daunting task. This is a journey I have just started. I am keeping my food journal here so that when you are in a rut or are starting to panic you can look here for ideas and perhaps even inspiration.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Coconut Flour Pancakes

For me eating eggs every morning gets a bit monotonous. But, being such a power source of protein and thus energy I try to have them every day. I found this recipe for "pancakes" which are more like eggs held together by coconut flour - not a grain! There are two ways to make them: experiment and see which way you like the best.

  • Option 1: 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons coconut flour, cinnamon and vanilla to taste (or omit flavoring for a savory pancake)
  • Option 2: Swap out 1 egg for 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt. This makes for a much less dense pancake, but you only get 2 eggs out of it.


I use a stick blender to mix it thoroughly. The coconut flour tends to be lumpy and unlike traditional pancake batter you want this to be very smooth. Then pour 1/2 the batter into a pan lightly greased with coconut oil and cook like you would a normal pancake. Top with butter or melted coconut cream concentrate. Makes 2.

*I have even been able to get my highly picky eater spawn to eat these by using option 2 and sprinkling in chocolate chips. Little do they know: Mwahaha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment